Summertime is pickle time, and they couldn't be easier to make and savor. This past winter, we discovered the Pickl-It company, and they have truly revolutionized the art of fermenting not just cucumbers, but all vegetables. They provide outstanding jars and fermenting equipment, as well as fun recipes for spices to use in ferment mixes. They are probiotic scientists over there, and have really perfected how to create ferment, happy-microbiome foods right on your kitchen countertop.
To make pickles that are full of rich beneficial bacteria for our immune systems, here is what we did, following the Pickl-It recommendations:
- We used a 2-liter Pickl-It jar and a Pickl-It mini air-lock for the fermentation process.
- Create your brine for fermenting your cucumbers! For full-sour, combine 48 grams of sea salt + 4 cups spring water. This makes a 5% brine. For half-sour (this is what our 4-year-old prefers!) combine 33 grams of sea salt + 4 cups of spring water. This makes a 3.5% brine.
- Fill your Pickl-It 2 liter jar with your brine.
- Insert your cucumbers. We purchase organic mini or pickling cucumbers. They do great.
- Fix the air lock into the Pickl-It jar.
- Sit your jar with air lock on your kitchen counter in cool dry space for 72 hours.
- Then enjoy! And put the jar into the fridge for safekeeping. Otherwise your pickles will continue to FERMENT and may not be as awesome.
HAPPY SUMMER! MAY THE PROBIOTICS ENRICH YOUR LIFE!