Roast chicken--whole chicken, drumsticks, thighs--is one of our go-to, easy-to-make, clean-ingredient dinner dishes that our family enjoys 1-2 times a week. This recipe has been requested by a number of our house guests and friends alike who have joined us around the dinner table, and so we are long overdue in sharing it here at the Accidental Purist.
The recipe requires--other than the chicken cuts of your preference, of course--only two ingredients: olive oil and sea salt.
As always, our recommendation is that you use antibiotic/hormone-free, pasture raised, clean chicken. This recipe also works best if you leave the skin on the chicken, and is most-suited to thighs, drumsticks, or an entire bird.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven is heating, fill a glass pan or even a plastic bag (Glad bags have the less VOC exposure among other brands) with enough olive oil to cover/properly marinade your chicken cuts, but do not add your chicken just yet. (Note that there is no precise amount of olive oil to use--this is just your best eyeball guess). If you are doing an entire roast chicken, then we recommend that you use a glass plan and a spoon for dousing the chicken with your marinade (more on this below).
- In that same marinade bag, add a tablespoon of sea salt crystals per pound of chicken. The large crystals work better and allow the chicken skin to have a lovely golden crisp.
- Mix the olive oil and sea salt together in your plastic baggy or glass pan. When the sea salt crystals are evenly distributed in the oil, you are ready to add your chicken!
- For thighs, drumsticks, or breasts, just flop them into your baggie/glass pan so that they are covered and saturated in the marinade. For an entire roast chicken, just place the bird into your glass pan and use spoonfuls of your marinade to douse and coat the chicken.
- When you have marinaded your chicken, place your chicken in a roasting pan. This is crucial, as it helps to ensure that the chicken is seasoned properly and cooks with a delicious crispy skin!
- When your oven is fully heated to 400, place the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 75 minutes.