Spending even one minute on the Environmental Working Group website, where you will be inundated with lists of toxic ingredients in your most favorite hygiene products, will leave you with mouth ajar, eyes wide, and the feeling that there are no products anywhere that are safe to use.
Prior to becoming ill, I did not pay much attention to the soap I used. I used whatever looked appealing and that purported health benefits. Three months before I woke up ill (it really was a light switch in my case), I had been using Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash. I loved the silky texture, and the scent, and figured, hey, it's Dove, they have healthy-looking commercials with health-looking women with gorgeous skin. Let's do this thing and rock this soap.
However, in hindsight, I was amazed to discover that this product contains several red flags that that Environmental Working Group has identified as 6-8 on a scale of 1-10 in terms of danger, with a lot of data still undetermined:
And I ingested all this topically while pregnant!!!!! Which means my daughter, now 3, has this toxic load in her body, which have been working hard to eradicate since she was born.
Am I blaming this product for the sudden crash of my health? Not directly, but over 3 decades of using products such as these--not to mention exposures through other potentially toxic sources in food, water, medicine, pollution and more--added up and was, I truly believe, a single factor in a multitude of factors.
However, now, as an immunocompromised human who is very sensitive to food, products, and even types of water, finding even a basic SOAP to use daily is tricky, as the emulsifiers used in soap contain chemicals and preservatives much like the ones listed above.
And that is why I am so grateful to have found "Kiss My Face" pure olive oil soap, which not only has a seriously adorable name, but is the purest soap I have found anywhere. It's only ingredients?
- Sodium Olivate (Saponified Olive Oil)
- Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt)
This beautiful bar of soap has a clean fragrance, lasts forever, and is only $3.
I have a bar by the kitchen sink, all bathroom sinks, one in our shower, and one for my daughter's bathing.
I cannot recommend this simply lovely green bar of awesome enough for those with heightened sensitivities, and for those looking to simplify their life with toxin-free products.